Apr 26, 2011

The Weekend Warriors of Charlestown



Over the weekend, Mr. Huz and I decided to get our hands dirty with a few projects. Actually, lets rephrase, I decided that some projects needed to be did and forced my husband into participation. 
First up? Floating shelves. These little ditties look easy enough but let me tell you, we almost got a divorce over their installation. Worth it though, right? We eat up every single inch of space we can around here.
Anndd so deserving of a few gratuitous close up shots. Even Ikea Shelves are worthy of their 15 minutes. Plus the Trojan Horsey shakers are all sorts of cute.

next up was a little game I like to play called what in my apartment can I paint gold? Nothing is safe when I am wielding a paint brush and endless amounts of Liquid Leaf. Picture frames, candlesticks, MY BED...you name it, I'll gild it.

And last, the dilemma of the bulbous basket. Oh this cute little chubby basket. I've been eying it up for weeks and finally decided to pull the trigger as the perfect laundry basket for our bedroom. We aren't blessed with a big closet so the laundry has to be out and about and thus needs something pretty to house it. 
This is where things get a bit hairy. I hit the wrong button! The wrong freaking button and received a blue basket instead of the au natural that I was expecting which of course doesn't match the love cave in any way shape or form. And on top of that, it costs almost as much money in shipping to return so that basket is ours FOREVER. Which brings me to this weekend. 
I was on the hunt for jussstt the right spot. Lo and behold I found it but it happens to be in our kitchen. Weird that we now keep dirty laundry in the kitchen? Totally but my plan is tell people that cute little Senegalese basket is the holder of potatoes. yep lots and lots of potatoes up in there. nothing wrong with that.


19 comments:

  1. Love your little updates. The shelf styling made a world of difference. And I a most definitely going to be purchasing some liquid gold leaf today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Too funny on the laundry basket.

    Also, my husband and I put up three floating shelves just like yours in our old kitchen, and TOTALLY agree, while they LOOK deceivingly simple, getting the spacing just right and getting them to be straight.. Lord almighty. It's a wonder we went through with the wedding day :) HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous shelving! So worth a few spats :) We bought shelves for our tiny kitchen last weekend and when we got them home, we realised they are too small. Oops. So we're going try again this weekend. Wish me luck. Lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahah too funny! My little game is, "what in my house can I spray paint black?" Love the gold, shelves AND your potato basket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same shelves in black... I couldn't agree with you more about the installation. We made the mistake of trying to make our shelves meet up in a corner... It took hours and countless holes to get it right. Not fun.
    But.... PERFECT, beautiful and lovely storage now that it's done! Woohoo!!!

    <3 MuffinLovesBiscuit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto on the shelves. I blew the biggest holes in our walls because of those stupid shelves before finally giving up. Glad you got it right cause they are super cute.

    Oh and your bedroom is tiny...but that gilded bed totally makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw! You are too funny! I've been decorating our place too and I need to get shelves for our bedroom. Everything is on the floor right now :[

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your updates! I'm with you, I buy things based on if I can envision painting them gold. Ha.

    Your home is gorgeous. Please show us more?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the horror of divorcing over shelving installation. It all goes away when it is finished though!

    xoxo

    Rebecca June

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the blue basket! It's super cute! Good mistake I'd say!
    Also, I've bought gold leaf paint before which is still gorgeous and far easier to use! Not gold paint but actual gold leaf paint! Just a tip!
    Great updates!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Noelle - the basket is from www.vivaterra.com and Natalie , I promise to show the whole apartment soon, very soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. You crack me up. Love your place. So worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your place looks so elegant, i love it! and I reallly want some liquid gold to gild like crazy. nice potato basket haha :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. too funny! My husband and I almost divorce over hanging out ledges too - we've moved a ton in the last 6 years and have learned to not hang as much in the next place due to the bickering:)

    Could you paint the blue color on the basket? Maybe the same color you wanted it to originally be?

    Your place looks just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your real life inspiration! Just stumbled on your blog! Newest follower :) Come see me too sometime lady!

    xoxo
    Stephanie&Such

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love love love the floating shelves - definitely worth getting the hubby to chip in! Thanks for sharing such cute pictures of your house - you have amazing decorating sense and such a beautiful blog! It's an inspiration for my own blog too!

    www.StarHughes.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. i have maybe 4 cans of gold spray paint just waiting for something, anything that i can find worthy of a coat of metallic goodness. i have just moved & there is open shelving in the kitchen, and i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love how you styled your ikea shelves! I love ikea and can't wait to be near one again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...